Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
is there much multihull sailing going on there, or any multihull builders where i can get my fix while i miss the F32 in my shed?

There is a small non-permanent (weekend/vocation) multihull group in Buzios. Most of the multihullers live in other cities, like Rio, Niteroi and Cabo Frio. This community is hosted in Roger Wright's house, right besides Buzios Vela Clube, the other sailing club in town, focused on dinghies and windsurfers. They used to sail Tornados, especially after Mr. Wright imported ten complete boats for the T Worlds that took place there a few years ago, but nowadays they are focused mostly on the A Class. Mr. Wright and his family sail anything, from A's to his 12 Metre "Wright in White" (in Europe, I guess).

If you want to talk and see boatbuilding, the best thing to do is get in touch with my friend Leonidas Zerboulis. He lives in Cabo Frio (less than 30 minutes drive from Buzios) and is in charge of starting the local branch of the Nautical Pole of the Federal University of Rio, which includes a technical school of marine arts whose teachers he is training.

"Grego" is a great sailor and diver, with tons of experience and countless stories. He still has the old shipyard in Cabo Frio where he used to build wonderful cold molded windsurfers to ocean racers and cruisers. He also worked as production manager in a big shipyard building composite boats in Rio. He built his 38 ft cold molded mahogany sloop alone, crossed the Atlantic and sailed to Greece on it, worked in the charter industry there, skippered mega yachts, crewed the only Brazilian boat to win the Fastnet, etc. He is THE local expert and can show you shipyard and related activities in the area. Someone is building cats there, but that's all I know.

Luiz