At the risk of boring the vets on this boat I’ll make this post, but someone thinking about the class could find this useful. My thanks to everyone on this board for your help. I’ve had the boat on the water 16 times so far. Here is what I’ve learned:

1. F16 sailing is the most fun sailing I have ever had. These boats are challenging, but very fast. When I first picked it up, Matt said “it takes another 20 minutes to rig the spinnaker, but I find it’s worth it.” Understatement of the year.
2. How to rig the boat solo. I started out taking two hours. Now, if I hustle, I can do it in 55 minutes, including taking it off the trailer.
3. How to haul the boat. I have hauled the boat 3,800 miles so far, and it took me a few times to figure out how to keep from having to stop every so often to retighten things.
4. Remove all shackles when trailering, they come loose and go bye-bye along with expensive blocks that may be attached.
5. 20MPH + Gusts to 30 = Swim. My current limit is around 15 MPH.
6. Righting the boat. I had help the first couple of times, but now that I know the right angle to lean, I can right it easily and fairly quickly.
7. Trapping out upwind is very easy, downwind under spinnaker, not so much. I stopped trying for now.
8. The boat is very light, but with the right settings, you can handle higher winds. Sheeting, boards, downhaul and mast rotation done right equals less pitching, more speed.
9. Respect the boat & beach. F16 boats need to be treated with a lot more respect than my poor old hobie. I now moor the boat during the day when not in use and I made a set of swim noodle chalks for use on the beach.
10. Gelcoating is an artform. I would suggest you get matching gelcoat when you buy the boat if you intend to keep up on nicks and scratches.
11. Never, ever, cleat the main when it’s gusting. I have a snapped boom as evidence of the consequences.
12. I don’t know sh** about racing. I win easily with the other duffers on the lake I sail on in Michigan, but up against the guys in CRAW, I’m DFL.
13. CRAW is a good outfit. Good guys who will take the time to help you learn. Well organized races.
14. GPS can also help you learn. Study your tracks and you’ll see your flaws.
15. Matt at Falcon Marine provides good service. I have busted two things on my boat so far and had the new parts in less than a week. I have sent an embarrassing number of e-mails to him and he’s helped me with rigging, sailing tips and repair/maintenance.

Blade F16 USA 725