Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
Money and professionalism. Up til the 90s you could do a campaign as a part time or intense hobby affair. Then professionalism struck and nothing but Marstrøm gear was good enough at the same time as the bar was raised sky-high. That was when the decline came about. At least this is my theory.

And how would this change if another class was selected. Sadly Olypmic sailing has reached an unhealthy level of professionalism and bringing in the Tiger will not fix this. It may however bring this unhealthy influence into the F18 class which would not be in the members best interest. It would help fatten the pockets of Hobiecat though. Could also have a VERY negative effect on the Wildcat. If the Tiger was the Olympic class and I was to buy an F18, I would choose a Tiger without question unless it was significantly more expensive.

An F18 class selected as an Olympic class would effectively give that manufacture and unfair advantage in the F18 class. In Australia, if sailing was a business, this would be a breach of the Trade Practices Act and Hobiecat would be having a little chat with the ACCC (Australian Competition and Consumer Commission)