Originally Posted by Dlennard
I think the trailer was not loaded properly (not enough tongue weight) or the trailer ride height was not level. If the van was a E250 it should be more than enough. I have hauled all kinds of stuff(Bobcats,tractors, WF's HT trailer with four 18HT's and a supercat 22 on it) with my F350,F250 single rear tire with bumper hitch and never had a problem if you load the trailer right.

Sorry about your accident and hope you get it all sorted out.

That was a tough break Chris.

I agree with Dave that you should be able to safely haul 5 boats in your trailer. As you know, I work in an industry that uses enclosed trailers extensively. It is not rare for someone to blow a tire but it is usually just an annoyance rather than an accident.

You are severely under gross with your load. Many of our racers have ramps inside to double deck two cars. That is much heavier and with a higher C/G than what you have.

The key is to have enough tongue weight and always use equalizer bars. There is also a special friction sway reducer you can get that attaches between the hitch and the trailer.

Yes, a dually will offer a more stable platform, but with your load it shouldn't be needed.

That tire pressure device someone posted looks like a great idea.

Your reaction when a tire goes is critical. Once the oscillations begin, you are usually screwed. NEVER hit the brakes and try to stay in front of the trailer. It may even be best to accelerate a little until you get everything in line and then slowly lift off the gas. If you think about it, grab the trailer brake control and use that to slow the rig down. Even with blown tires, the trailer brakes should be somewhat effective. Most of this is counter-intuitive so it might be wise to experiment with your trailer braking techniques before an emergency application is needed.

Until this actually happens to you it is hard to anticipate the dynamics. Fortunately I have never lost a rig but have had some hairey close calls.

Good luck guys and don't give up on your concept. BTW, as a replacement I would recommend Pace American. They have a special anti-sway axle system that works very well.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay