Originally Posted by andrewscott
i saw the wire on the isotopes and would prefer line as well... i personally just have a loop of line on mine.. but gotta love a nice splice when possible.

The original Isotope downhaul pulled on the boom gooseneck, and the gooseneck was in turn pinned to the mainsail tack. Unfortunately, the gooseneck wasn't up to the task and the welds eventually broke. That was replaced by a wire around the gooseneck, but some people just tied a loop of strong line. Joleen still has a double-loop of 1/4" polyester double-braid on hers. Both wire and rope work, but the dyneema is more satisfyingly cool.

The original boom end-casting has "ears" that you can pin to the mainsail tack. The previous owner of my boom, however, cut them off, so the boom has no attachment to the main at all. My boom used to sit on a track-stop in the mast, but now the gooseneck rests in the shorter loop. As I adjust the downhaul, the gooseneck rides up and down with the mainsail tack.

Gotcha.. but as i move my outhaul i would move my block position.. .and conversely my blocks would be pulling my outhaul outward all day... but if it works on your cat... awesome

Well, it wouldn't work on my cat. The Isotope mainsheet pulls a little forward on the boom, which is what induces mast rotation. If I mounted the boom bail at the mainsail clew, it would be too far aft and impart too much forward force. I have a regular steel bail bolted through the boom. Another sailor has a rope bail that is held in place by a track-stop in the boom groove. Since the mainsail is loose-footed (has no boltrope on the foot), the groove is empty. Imagine a short piece of round stock that fits the groove in the boom. Screw an eyestrap to it loosely and slide it to the desired location. Tighten it in place and run the rope bail through the eye. That is handy because you can adjust it if necessary.

I hope that is clearer.

Regards,
Eric