Ah, now that I see your pic, I understand. That's a nice design. The brummel eye in the middle gives you a better attachemet to the jib clew. An eye-hitch wouldn't slip like a cow-hitch might.

Originally Posted by pepin
I replaced the pigtails with a dyneema line with soft shackle at both ends and a brumel in the middle. I luggage tag the brumel to the jib clew and then I pass each end loop through the pulleys, push the knot inside the loop and I'm done.

Ok, now I'm having trouble visualizing it. I had thought that you were just putting a terminal knot in the bitter end, passing a bight through, and capturing the knot with it. But, if that were the case, there'd be no need for a brummel (and i wouldn't trust that on a flapping jib sheet anyway).

I probably would have just eye-spliced the pigtail ends to the blocks permanently, and cow-hitched it to the jib clew in the middle. That would, however, require you to reeve and unreeve the jib sheets each time you rig and de-rig (not an issue for me as I do that anyway). I can see that a removable attachment might be convenient. I also took the 2:1 purchase off my jib sheets (too much line to pull in on each tack) - but I would like to understand your solution.

I picture you having a line with a sliding eye at each end, and the two buried parts come together in the middle. Do you brummel them into each other, or each one into the cover? With that done, where are the knots that you capture with the eyes?

Regards,
Eric

Last edited by Isotope42; 09/22/09 08:06 AM. Reason: a picture says a thousand words