Talked to Jill today. She called Tallahassee and found there is no need to register cats.

We're going to need a bit more than just Jill's word. I called Tallahassee, too. I was referred to the NEW laws which are found in Florida Statute 328.

FL Statute 328

The new language is in section 328.48(2d) on registration which now includes the 16 foot rule reads

2) Each vessel operated, used, or stored on the waters of this state must be registered as a commercial vessel or recreational vessel as defined in s. 327.02, unless it is:

(a) A vessel operated, used, and stored exclusively on private lakes and ponds;

(b) A vessel owned by the United States Government;

(c) A vessel used exclusively as a ship's lifeboat; or

(d) A non-motor-powered vessel less than 16 feet in length or a non-motor-powered canoe, kayak, racing shell, or rowing scull, regardless of length.

If you can find something here that exempts catamarans, please point it out. The officer will want to know....

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission is the law enforcement branch controls these regulations and the sticky rules concerning hull numbers, titling, and registration.

Try calling Captain Roger Young in the Tampa office of FWC at 813-376-6418. I hope I don't make him mad for publishing his number but if a bunch of us call, perhaps he can get things done.

Try this link to the FWC on boating regulations

Hit "Org Structure" on the left and then find your local rep in the right hand column. Call and whine.