That does sound like a boat I traveled from Utah to Marina del Ray, California to look at last summer....but there are probably a number of Mac 36's like that scattered around, here and there. I've seen some costing as much as $47,000 (or more).

Great boats..!

I've seen a number of them still in use, lookin good and sailing fine, in southern California, in Mexico's Yucatan and one guy is running sailing/whale watching tours in Rocky Point, Mexico.... (great guy)

I don't know if you've found these other sites...if so, great, if not, here they are:

http://www.tompatterson.com/Sailing/Sailing/Sailing11.html

http://www.macgregor-yacht.com/machin.html

Also, if you have the interest or need, I've found an original Mac 36 owner's and assembly manual. Though I've misplaced the web address I do have the manual copied as an Adobe file that's emailable.

If you want it, give me an email address and I'll send all 27 pages or so...and if you don't have Adobe, it's available on the web for free....

The manual is pretty interesting reading and goes through the assembly and disassembly process (sep-by-step), rigging, tuning, self recovery from a capsize, etc.

Have you looked at any of the other demountable and trailerable larger cats...like Viva 27s, Stiletto 27s, etc.

They are not Mac 36s but every now and again, there are some "killer" deals that come up and some "deals" are in sail-away shape, with road-worthy trailer....if you keep your eyes open, have some patience and are ready to make it all work before someone else shows up.....

What caused me to not go for the Mac 36 I found...and got the guy to go down to $2,000 cash.... was my wife....!

But, she had some valid points....

Fixing up the trailer or buying another would add another $1,000 or two ....adding or finding this or that would add more $$$$ and so on.... plus she wanted to sail sooner than I would be able to actually refurb the boat and make it seaworthy...

(Don't ya just hate a wife that wants to buy a cat and go sailing...and right now...???)

When all was said and done...we found a boat (Stiletto 27) in sail-away condition, road worthy trailer, large sail inventory, and bunches of this and that boat stuff -hardaware- furler- etc.... for around $10K.... (which I thought was much less than I would have spent in time and $$$ to find, make or repair things for the Mac 36) ...but we had to drive $3,000 miles to get there and back.... and not counting the other trips we took looking at boats.... before we finally bought the one we now have...

But all were good trips as was is was the fun trip we took to Mexico, even if we hadn't decided to grab that Stiletto....

Best of luck and I'd be interested in hearing how your search progresses and what you finally end up doing...