Originally Posted by brucat
[...](Pepin, I don't know where you were going, but this is most definitely legal)[...]
As I said, given the sketchy details at the time I was intrigued on how the race could have been thrown out. And after Rick's update I still think the RC had no ground to toss the race away.

Let me do some armchair analysis, it won't hurt anyone as this does not change the scores, but will put my mind at rest smile

RRS 32.2 says:
Originally Posted by RRS
If the race committee signals a shortened course (displays flag S with two sounds), the finishing line shall be,
(a) at a rounding mark, between the mark and a staff displaying flag S;
(b) at a line boats are required to cross at the end of each lap, that line;
(c) at a gate, between the gate marks.

This implies that a shorten course *could not* be finished by passing through the finishing line as described. The line was not a required passage. So if the skippers were counting their laps properly there was no reason for them to alter course as you don't have to do so even for a shortened course.

The goal of that rule is so that you finish even if you don't see the shorten course (S) flag. If in doubt you can sail the full course and still keep your position safe.

Moreover the RC is *not* in charge of counting the laps. The competitors are. If a competitor crosses the line and claim he finished, heck give him a honk and record his time. He will be protested for not sailing his proper course if he miscounted.

Moreover RRS 32.1 states:
Originally Posted by RRS
However, after one boat has sailed the course and finished within the time limit, if any, the race committee shall not abandon the race without considering the consequences for all boats in the race or series.

That is a strong deterrent to toss a race out, whatever the conditions. Not to mention that audio signals on finish are not part of the rule at all and are just here as a courtesy to the sailor.

That's my view on it, but again, I'm not an expert, I haven't read the sailing instructions and they may change those rules.