Originally Posted by catman
The boom and main are dragging in the water. The boat is angled about 5-10 degrees. I'm pumping the tiller and trying to undo my hook. John is pumping his body trying to save it. It starts to inch down until we finally save it ending in big tea bag. I look at John and say, maybe we should roll up the jib.

Congrats on finishing and winning!

We where following in your tracks (I would guess a mile behind). We lost use of one rudder at the start but I was able to secure it in the up position so the boat felt good all the way for the two laps around the island. We watched you clear the pass and tacked on your line. Almost immediately the big wind hit and we saved it several times. It was sort of strange actually. We were totally depowered ...total down haul, over rotation, etc. traveler down about a foot. The main actually started inverting and we then didn't have enough power to punch through the building seas.

With only one rudder I didn't have enough control to keep her close to the wind.

We went over and righted the boat three times but could never get back on before it went over again.

At that point we were exhausted and thankfully Bob Barton, and the crash boat arrived. I was very concerned about my crew who is an experinced sailor and kiteboarder. However he had never be on a cat and I was afraid he would lose his contact with the boat. As we all know, these things skate really fast on their side.

Anyway, the crash crew were able to get John on board and then tow me and TL to a nearby beach where we left the boat for the night.

Thanks to Bob, John and the others on the crash boat. They rescued at least 5 boats and their crews. No boats were lost.

I can't image being out in those conditons in a 20' open power boat, let alone skillfully rescuing people in the water and towing capsized boats.

Looking at the GPS track, we would never have made it to shore on our own. We were headed due North and would have skirted all the remaining islands. The next landfall would have been Cedar Key, at least 40 miles. We could have survived but it would have been a cold night. This is near where those Tampa Bay football players perished last year.

Lessions:

Heed storm warnings, no matter how nice it seems at race time.

Never underestimate the value of power boat rescue resources.

When sailing off shore, even in nice weather, carry plenty of water, cell phone, flashlight and more. You never know when a three hour cruise will turn into Gilligan's Island.

And...of course stay with the boat.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay