I understand about the leeward mark... seeing it wasn't a problem, it was differentiating it so don't think biggeer marks are the solution, simply having the gate a different color or clearly different from the pin and finish buoy would be sufficient.
John I guess next year you just shouldn't be out in front so much! smile
One thing we did was use the 20 fleet rounding the windward mark to judge where it was. It's a lot easier to see boats putting up their chutes than the small mark... I guess the 20's don't have that option the first beat but by the 2nd you probably should have some F16s or other 20's.
Pretty obvious that Optis and Lasers should not be on the same course as cats... Lasers I could deal with but Optis NO WAY!
I think asking Rick to go out and buy new marks is crazy but it's great to offer advice like this to switch to the yellow marks the other course was using or etc.

Overall I would say this is by far the best tradewinds i've ever been to and one of the best regattas I attended all year (and I sailed about 15).. great job by all involved and kudos for accepting constructive critiscim!