My take - WHAT A DRAMATIC START! that was wild! irons on the startline...I hate that when that happens.

BMWO obviously dropped the throttle once both upwind and downwind and still made it look like a cakewalk. I truely believe they could have won that 20 mile race by more than the 2.2 miles they did - it could have easily be 5 miles, maybe even 6 on a 40 mile race. That's at least a 12 to 15% better efficiency around the course...amazing.

And this was supposed to be the wind that the boat's transitioned and should have been somewhat equal with A5 having an advantage in lighter wind. We didn't see that today at all - USA showed the ability to consistently fly both hulls all day. Alinghi spent 30% of the time with their windward hull skimming the water upwind. Downwind they had to go much higher to fly the hull than USA. I genuinely thought that USA-17 had the technical advantage but I didn't think it was going to be by this much.

Now that I've lost a bunch of worktime today, I wont' get to see the press conferences, but I can't wait to hear the reactions from both sides. I'm betting Alinghi will be saying something that implies that the wing isn't a sail and the tri isn't a sloop.

Last edited by Jake; 02/12/10 01:02 PM.

Jake Kohl