Originally Posted by Luiz
Originally Posted by Keith

I guess technically when either one is riding on one hull they're a mono...

I was also noticing on the replay that A pitches a lot more in the waves upwind - I hadn't noticed it as much watching live. There was a definite contrast to BOR being more steady and A pitching.

So, my new winter project - canting wing sail and banana boards on my F-27...

Can't wait to watch tomorrow...

On one hull they are monos... but for ballast, stability, hull shape, drag, speed, etc.

The pitching difference relates to Alinghi having bow overhangs to measure at 90 ft LWL, while BMWO's floats are free from measurement restrictions, the boat resting on the mainhull for measurement. BMWO is better balanced. It also relates to the inclination of B's amas, as I posted before in this same thread.

Also dreaming of a wing and curved board, but already have a cascading system for canting.

Yes, the overhangs of A5 give a keel shape that would seem to not counteract pitching, essentially adding rocker forward. My 6.0 does the same thing (deck is flat, but the keel actually has decent amount of rocker). They had used S boards before I believe. As for BOR, I would characterize the amas more by the profile given by their keels, stems, and decks - that's what gives the characteristics. Saying that they are inclined gives words to the eye cues, but it's not that the designers said "hey, let's just take the amas we have and point the noses down", then again, maybe they did... Either way, the amas have buoyancy forward and low, and the boards are helping provide more. In the end we're saying the same thing differently. A5 pitches, BOR does not.

Canting system looks good, I'm stuck in the real old school with a non-rotating fixed spar. Maybe that's my first step...