Originally Posted by Seeker
Looks like a good compromise for your bulkheads Mike...I used the same technique since the 70's for surfboard ding repairs, catamaran hull repairs, sailboard ding repairs......in that case it saves a lot of sanding, mimics the curve of the rail, keeps the cloth repair compressed, all with minimum work...once used it to save a bottom laminate when a free-bagging vaccum bag job on a sailboard bottom went bad. Your bulkheads are a nice application of the concept...

If I understand the application of this technique to a hull repair you would:

• Wet the prepared repair area with resin
  • Apply the cloth, smooth out
  • Apply second and successive layers of cloth - smoothing out between each and just wetting out enought so that cloth is wetted with excess resin from below plus some fresh resin from above
  • Cover with polyethylene film (not saran wrap thickness, but not super thick
  • Squeedgee out excess resin with a spreader through the film (where does this excess go?)
  • After curing, peel off the film and begin fairing

The objective being a drier layup which is stronger and less wrinkly - hence requiring less fairing?

As most of us are more likely to be repairing a hull than building new ones, it would be useful to understand how to apply this to a hull repair. Useful comments from Mike, Bob, Jake and others welcome.

I'm OK at fixing small nicks and dings and the odd split I-20 hull after Lee has been busy in the surf - but I'm self taught and have much to learn

Chris.

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules