Even though I feel silly writing like I know something here is my (youthful) 5 cents for the "discussion." Like everything in sailing it’s a matter of compromise, sailing to the conditions and judgement. Also I’m writing from cat rig perspective when of course the addition of a jib means tacking and us cats getting left behind :'( (Neil & Mick).

Chop at an unfriendly angle and lack of wind would merit "tacking" just to keep moving as opposed to hobby horsing and swearing.

More wind in a particular area of a course can make it seem like tacking is the fast thing to do when really someone just saw some pressure you didn’t.

The only way tacking downwind becomes feasible is with some "wildthinging" (sitting in, flying a hull and generating apparent wind to try and achieve good downwind VMG)
Very fun in pre race manoeuvres and a common thing in Taipan's and A's. Could possibly be quicker in a very select few conditions with a Mozzi but the harsh reality is even with my mere 65kg frame our rig is too "small"
ALSO for racing it is too high risk with relation to the skill required to do it in an effective way, and getting caught on the wrong side of lifts, lulls.

cheers

Mosquito 1750 Bonnie-GLYC / Peninsula

The plan was simple.... Like my brother in law Phil, except this plan just might work!