Originally Posted by pgp
He prolly borrowed Jake's cape. smirk

I only loan that to my brother, who, while reaching with me at Spring Fever (2002?) on my 5.2 saw me pitchpole and went flying from the wire. He almost lands on the trampoline of a Hobie 18 in front of us but lands in the water...I managed to stay at the back of the boat...the sterns start their way back down (we're going to save it!) but my brother, who's bobbing briefly in the water, is still hooked into the trap line. As the mast comes back up, his trap yanks him clear back up out of the water, he scrapes his leg up on the forestay bridle, lands on the leeward side, unclips, ducks under the main, and we continue on.

but seriously - in response to this trimming / stuffing thing, I think different scenarios have different recovery methods but it all happens so fast, it's not realistic to get it right all the time. Clearly, sometimes, it's just not recoverable. However, I don't believe in easing anything at the time of the stuff. The boat is decelerating FAST (which is why it's trying to roll heads over heals). If you ease things (traveler, spin sheet...whatever), you're just trimming them to the quickly changing apparent wind. I like to hold the trim steady (sailplan is now over sheeted and stalled) until my rudders are back in the water and then ease quickly to get the boat accelerating again. You could ease and dump the instant the bow takes a dive but somewhere between where the sails are and where they are "dumped" is proper trim with more power....which is what you don't need at that instant.

Jake Kohl