Kris

You are right... there are small differences on the water between the rating systems currently. I don't expect any regattas to change in their outcome if we switch. I have run all of the handicap regattas in our area over the last couple of years and nothing surprising shakes out. This of course is the way it should be! Switching to a different rating system won't "Fix" any perceived problem that I or anyone else has..

The reason to change is that the underlying rationale for changes to existing ratings is solid and sustainable. The ratings updates don't depend on good turnouts of boats and top helms at portsmouth regattas. Moreover, the measurement rule can be applied to any new or one off designs AND we would be in alignment with the international scene.

Why change now?
Portsmouth could not cope with the introduction of three popular boats. N20, F18 and F16 in the first year and a half of racing... (much much longer for the F16...) (The Tiger was initially just a bit faster then a stock hobie 20). Now we have the introduction of the Nacra F20 that will be equally problematic to rate with Portmouth methods. Portsmouth can't deal with the M20's, CFR 20 and similar highly modified or one-off boats. Basically we make up a "fair" rating now...

The best solution going forward is SCHRS.

crac.sailregattas.com