jabram,

If you are at 370 lbs and sail predominately in the lighter airs than a 20 footer is definately your boat.

You could probably get away with a F18 but you'll be at the high end of the crewweights. The 16's won't take you; these quit being competitive at 340 lbs.

But the reason I'm making this post is because of the rumour that the iF20 class is looking to upgrade their mainsail size to the US size. I can assure you that the iF20 organisation is NOT doing that right now. I think maybe the named person of Peter Vink may be interested in this but he is only a private person in this matter and I doubt he will get enough support to be succesful at getting the rules adjusted. Apart from the US no sailor is really interested in even more sailarea in this class. It is already quite powerful in all but the lighter conditions.

I would disregard this rumour in your decision making. On the other hand, what is 1,4 sq. mtr. ? It is nice if you're in a lighter weather area and if the iF20 goes global just like the F18 it will always be easy enough to a iF20 class legal sail if you really want to compete in international competitions. This is not really a biggy.

I see that alot of I-20's are for sale second hand so that should be of interest too.

There are also quite a few F18HT's for sale now. I counter something like 8 on the catsailors classifieds.

I think you options are pretty well cut.

F18's if you're really interested in international raceing (probably not); F18 will establish herself in the US that much is clear.

Inter-20 (sort of F20) if your mostly sailing recreational with the occasional big regatta in the US where often their is a sizeable I-20 presence.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands