Originally Posted by iMax

CS-Which boat should be used? Tornado, any current F18, or a special new design created for the games?
MF:The Tornado is a nice boat but the design is no longer up to date and I think it is time to look for something new. The F18 is a very active Class and choosing a current boat could be a solution. In that case I have (of course) a strong preference for the Wild Cat. On the other side I think a boat with foils would be nice. So I think an F18 like boat with foils should be used for the games in 2016.
I think 18 ft with a beam of 2.5 m would be a good choice. Transport is much easier than with a wider boat and such a boat would be significantly cheaper than a 20-ft boat. I would also like to see the weight come down a bit, but not to extreme levels. I reckon a weight of around 140 kg would be a good compromise between performance and cost.

If you lengthen the F18 by 300mm, keep the same width of 2500mm then lighten it to 140kg, allow carbon tillers, crossbars, bigger spinnaker, keep the big head sail with no carbon mast then you’ll have a 5.7 Taipan

Attached Files
5.7 with spin.jpg (606 downloads)

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576