I tend to agree Seeker. I actually hunted down Mr Barrett a while ago and seriously entertained the idea of purchasing an AOF14. I love the boat, very nice, but for $5k less i purchased the 430.
Was it a performance based decision? NO, both had a spinnaker, which is what I wanted
Was it a serviced based decision? NO, both had good service and would deliver to FNQ
It came down to the fact that wht you would care to describe as overweight, was seen by me as being versatility and a spinnaker trainer. Once I can use the kite, I will probably get another boat, but set the 430 up for cruising, with wings and storage. The $5k less was just the thing that got NACRA over the line.
Both Alpha Omega and NACRA are the leading brands for customer service, Calypso didn't seem Keen, everyone else distance was a big issue. Windrush make a beautiful 14, Maricat, when it comes to hiking, has possibly the most comfortable cats ever built, H14 is dead, Hobie Waves never took off in Australia, AHPC don't make a 14. the premier Single handers class in Australia is the A cats, they have more than most classes as far as top end sailors go. Mind you, they still get heaps of 16SQ's turn up at Nacra Nationals each year...
The bigger is better mentality is prevelant with some males having a fascination with large sizes, big V8's, big boobs etc, maybe , i don't really know, but one thing is for certain, most know what the AOF14 is capable of and they still won't buy one, and I don't know why.
It could very well be my next boat.
Chocko

Last edited by engineer; 05/26/10 03:54 PM.

Nacra 430 Rocket