Originally Posted by Mugrace72

Even though all of those races where in shifty, spotty wind...the kind you would not normally use for data, I would support sending the results just to level the field, so to speak.

This is really perhaps another nail in the coffin of the PHRF system.

Consider:

1. On the Waves, we were able to tack on the shifts and sail to the pressure, whereby the rest of the bigger cats in our fleet (mainly Hobie 16) have a hard time tacking at all, and have a hopeless situation in very light wind. I don't know how many times I simply sailed around one stuck in irons.

2. The three Wave sailers present are all national level sailors.

3. Except for Mark Williams, none of the other boats in our fleet came close to getting decent starts in most of the races.

4. The Wave DPN is most likely derived from data taken at small local races were someone that really sucked sailed a Wave and finished very poorely.

I agree that the number doesn't fully represent the potential outcome. It would be interesting to score the same races using SCHRS. I expect the results would still stand.

Ratings comparison:

Hobie 16 DPN = 76 SCHRS = 1.145 converted to DPN = 79.3
Hobie 18 DPN = 71.4 SCHRS = 1.050 converted to DPN = 73.4
Wave DPN = 92.1 SCHRS = 1.480 converted to DPN = 102.5

Jack, those are all great points, however:

2. I've sailed against you before on a Hobie 16 I believe and Reggie on the Hobie 17 on what felt like a much more level playing field.

3. Mark continued to stay on the line with you guys at the starts, while I opted to sit back and take a clear lane after being pinned at the committee boat in the first race because the 16 definitely did not have the same manueverability as a Wave.

I'm just trying to point out that if you leave out the DNF, the only time a Wave didn't finish 1,2,3 was in one race where it was 4th.