Keith,

I haven't read the SA thread. I avoid SA because people there seem to delight in being vulgar and abusive. That's simply aggravation I don't need.

As you describe it, I don't think you (nor the other boats) did anything at all disrespectful or unsportsmanlike. Navigating through other boats on the racecourse, whether or not they are in your class, is part of the game - just like dealing with windshifts, shallows, current, or shore effects. I don't get angry when someone crosses or passes me, nor do I feel guilty for crossing or passing another.

I think people forget that the water belongs equally to all the boats. That is the source of this sort of gripe. Many folks believe that other classes should stay off "their" racecourse and complain bitterly when they meet. I've even heard people argue that a starboard-tack boat should have kept clear of them (on port-tack) because they were in a different class. The reality is that they got in a disadvantageous situation and want to blame someone else.

I don't think there's much one can do to fix that attitude.

Regards,
Eric