Originally Posted by Sloansailing

I don't see anything in rule 3 that defines "commercial vessel". Can you point me to where "commercial vessel" is defined and where it sits in pecking order? Don't see in rule 18 any mention of "commercial vessel".

Rule 3 defines "restricted in her ability to maneuver" as "a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to maneuver as required by these rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel." But, "from the nature of her work" does not mean engaged in commercial trade, it is defined later in rule 3, and no where mentions "commercial trade" or "commercial vessel".

"Commercial vessel is defined by the USCG. It's not explicitly mentioned in the RRS, but many SI's specifically state that commercial vessels have right-of-way. I know this isn't a race situation, but if it were and if the SI's stated boats must give way to commercial vessels then it could be possible that a sea plane could have ROW provided it meets the criteria of a commercial vessel.