Bruce

On reflection I think having a pump up and a pump down system would be too complicated.

I think you could manage an ordinary halyard for the hoist, run it so that the tack line is automatiaclly pulled out at the same time though, then use a pump system for dousing.

The pump system, basically works like ratchet, handbrake on a car is a good example. I'll try and explain it:

imagine that your spinnaker retrieval line is attached to a great big shockcord, about 10m long and when the spinaker is down this is stretched to its limit, now put a block just behind the halyard cleat so that the halyard goes into the cleat automatically, put a floating block on the halyard just behind this with a trapeze handle attached to it,now attach another block about 2 ft behind the first one, and then attach a cleat (cleat 2) behind this.

When you grab the floating block and pull it sideways it will pull the sail down, when you move the block back the tail gets pulled through cleat 2 by the elastic, another pull brings in more spinnaker and so on.

Hope this makes sense, if your interested we could sort it all out for you.

John Pierce

[email]stealthmarine@btinternet.com
/email]