Personally, I feel the Olympic selection to be more of a danger to the Viper class then to us, the F16 class. But this is not me saying that the danger is very big to either of us.

For example, the Olympic sailors want a carbon mast and even very much so. That is allowed under F16 rules but the Viper class is still rooting for aluminium. While Aluminium is good in my personal opinion as a non-olympic sailor; it is isn't good enough for Olympic sailing. Or at least that is the rep. This implies the Viper class will become more F16 with the big O. selection. The very thing they appear to be avoiding by going SMOD at this moment.

That only leaves ready-to-sail weight as the only difference between SMOD Viper and the other F16's. How long till sufficient pressure is excerted by the Olympic sailors to drop in ready-to-sail weight especially since the other F16's are showing that it can be done without large costs ? In the past these sailors laid down 30.000 bucks for a boat where the Viper (and other F16's) is currently 16.000.

There is some financial room here for upgrades. Adding the carbon mast is on top of the list for sure !

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands