Epoxy Spreaders - notched or straight edged?

I started using straight edge spreaders with plastic auto body filler in restoration work with cars and trucks, and with thickened resin / epoxy for boat repairs.
I’ve also used a variety of putty knifes. When I first started the TMS-20 my NA and several other written sources where not supportive of the notched spreaders (such as the spreader sold by west systems.)
On their written advice and my past experience I started with the straight edged spreaders.
I’ve always used this type of spreader and it has served me well over the years.
On this board some time ago it was suggested to use a notched spreader so I picked one up to test from my marine supply house.
I found it a very useful tool for initial faring and large areas. Some of the benefits of using a notched spreader are listed below:

1. Apply large areas of epoxy with less material.
2. Less material to sand for initial faring
3. Quick buildup of areas
4. Epoxy can be applied more evenly and depth controlled by the notches
5. Less filler needed to control sag in epoxy when applied to vertical surface
6. Sands in a “pattern” to show high and low spots

A few things to be careful of when using the notched spreader is are:

1. Amine Blush harder to clean on an irregular surface
2. Make sure the “rows” of epoxy are solid – no air bubble or roll overs.
3. Harder to scuff sand compared to a smooth surface for a recoat.
4. Care needs to be taken when filling in the finish coat to make sure there are no air bubbles.

For small jobs or finish work a straight edged spreader is great but for larger jobs and where you may want to build up an area consider a notched spreader.

Mike

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's