OK, so I thought it was a good idea at first.

I put the Stiletto in a race that was hosted by the local YC (Read all lead mines), haven't raced in quite a few years. As noted in another post, winds here have been blowing 20+. My thought was to sit back a little on the start, foot off and go around the leaners. Well its hard to throttle back when its blowing like that. So, I shoot into the mix. Problem was the upwind mark was so close everyone got there in a couple of minutes. I needed to get outside but couldn't, the boat outside of me tacked on top heading me up and stalling... %$#&. While attempting to gain stearage, the next slug started screaming at us to get the hell out of her way! My kids looked at me with the "What the...?" look, and I decided that racing with slugs was not for me. I radioed the committee and said "we're done here".

A couple of points:
1.) I wasn't a member of their club, I'm sure they thought I was an intruder.
2.) Should have held to my guns and stayed back. It would have been better to stay out of their way. It was supposed to be a fun race anyway. Well at least for some.
3.) I think the screamer probably didn't like the way we blew past them at the start then parked at the mark.
4.) I'm not sure what the rule is about the boat that headed me up at the mark. I was in the process of giving room to the inside boats. Didn't matter to me, I didn't want to hit anyone.
5.) I figured the boats behind me were going to protest me being in their way, so we bailed.

We ended up blasting around the lake averaging 12-16kts. Not to bad if you ask me.

Next day (Sunday), blowing 20 again, one of the bigger leaners came out on the lake, about a 36'er. We were crossing them when they tacked as we approached (onto the same heading as us). I looked at my buddy and said "No, he didn't just do that did he?". You know 2 boats going in the same direction is a race right? We got a puff, (well a little more than that) and sheeted in. Its hard for something doing 7kts to keep up when you are doing twice that. Some things really do work out. I wonder if he told that story back at the club?

Just a bit of rambling after a blustery weekend.
Anyone else have something interesting?

Clayton