Originally Posted by Sloansailing
Did you officially register for the race? If so you should be following the RRS like everyone else is (hopefully). And, you should KNOW the RRS! If you weren't officially registered it would be advisable to stay away from organized events! Did you go to the club and talk with the other sailors? Did you make any attempt to be social and talk about the days racing, either before or after the race?

See, YC's put a lot of effort and time into organizing events, and if you just show up, don't register, don't go to the YC or talk to the PRO or talk to other sailors, it kinda rubs people the wrong way. What if a keelboat just decided to race with a bunch of cats "for fun" one day and took everyone up at the start? You wouldn't look too kindly on that... So, if you're gonna go out and race with a bunch of monos, at least follow the rules, register, and expect that they will take every opportunity to use the rules and boat handling to their advantage.

Yup, did go to the club, registered all that sort of stuff. This is not my first time racing (just over there). BUT, I did not meet EVERYONE at the club that was racing. SO not being a member of the club I'm sure they didn't know who I was and assumed we were just in the way. The key here is ASSUME. Also not being a member of the club its not open for me to go hang out and do all of the above.

This was a regatta organized (loose term) by the local town as part of a bigger party. The club handled the race. Thats how I got in, it was open to anyone, I just happened to be the only one outside of the club that showed up. They didn't spend a lot of time organizing, there was NEVER a NOR or RRS issued. I found out what time the skippers meeting and race time about 1/2 hour before it happened. By the time I got to the club they had already started the meeting then by the time I got back to the boat then sailed to the start line (<6 miles) I missed the first race. That should have been a sign to just go home... but NOOOOOO. I had to give it a shot.

Hind sight is great but at the time, well.

I just wish the other boat would have handled the situation a little different. BTW, who won? To this day, a week later, they don't know. They didn't even ask for handicaps before the race. Like I said, it was supposed to be a fun race, or so I thought.

Thanks for the comment. There is definitely things that can be done different IF I race there again.

Clayton