I’ve been off on comp time / vacation for the week and only left home two times. Once for the dentist and the second time for another roll of sandpaper - beside that I’ve been working on the boat. So either I’m driven to get this thing done or I need a new life. So today I’ll journey out again to make a Mount Gay Rum, Home Depot ( the man’s Macy’s), and a cigar run just to prove I’ve not become a possessed hermit. Last post I was talking about notched spreaders and this post I have some pics of the boat with faring from a notched spreader then taken out to “almost” fare.
On this half of the hull (port) I used Gorilla glue to join the foam strips together instead of epoxy. Gorilla Glue sands at about the same rate as the foam so I was able to do much more faring to the actual foam which saved time and it gave better results. Then I used a notched spreader to put my first layer of bog on the hull and fare that out. Then I went back and filled the rows created by the notches and continued to fare the hull. That is about where I left off.
I wanted to get more done this week but epoxy just dries so fast and sand so hard. I am using an air file to rough it in then switching to a manual long board. I am actually getting two applications of epoxy a day with fast hardener so that is not bad and I’ve not lost a batch yet. There are few little spots to hit on the side of the hull above the chine with epoxy then it is good enough. From the chine to the keel there is a lot of faring to be done yet. So my plan is touch the few spots above the chine then build a second rack and set the hull back right-side up. I have the forms I just need to build a frame to mount the forms. Next wet out a few strips of fiberglass on wax paper laid crossways on the deck for supports - so I can make a rack to hold the hull upside down. Flip the hull over on the rack upside down. If I get that far by Sunday before I go back to work I’ll be happy with that. Then I will finish faring out the keel and carbon fiber / vacuum bag the keel up to the chine.

Attached Files
IMG00480-20110529-1123.jpg (391 downloads)
Notched spreader rows

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's