Only vaguely...it makes my head hurt.

There was a time, a very long time ago, when I was about 19-23, when I actually read the rule book and knew the rules.

But then, in an effort to "Simplify" the rules, USSA changed them, and I lost interest. Getting married, having kids, etc. took most of my sailing and rule book study time away too.

After the start, I want clear air, and just try to stay away from other boats and when in doubt give the other guy the benefit of the doubt and let him cross. Oh, and never hit anyone, no matter who's in the right. That usually works for me.

The thing I agree with most in that discussion was the statement somebody made; Why do we have a bloated rule book that changes every 4 years in the first place, when all we really need is about 5 basic "Right of Way" type rules that should be easily understood by all.

Who was it that said, "Simplicity is Genius"? What we have today is the opposite of simplicity. The rule book is so full of; If's, And's, or But's and appeals, as to make it almost useless, look no further than that discussion on the open forum to see what I mean.

So I try to get a good start in clear air, go the right direction up the first beat, and stay out of traffic at the marks. I only go out there to have fun, not to get into a pizzing contest over who luffed who, when, why, etc. When it becomes a screaming match at every mark rounding, with red flags flying, I'm out. Luckily in our local fleet racing it has not come to that...yet.

Life's too short to deal with all that nonsense on your days off. Sailboat racing is supposed to be Recreation, and Recreation is supposed to be fun, right? So when it's not fun, it's not recreation, so it's work.

Now, the guys we are talking about, the guys in the VX 40 or AC 45 racing, that's their Day JOB, they are not out there for fun, they are out there to Work. So let them decide who was in the right/wrong. I could care less. If it were me, I would have made sure I was either going to cross him by pinching or tacked, or ducked him cleanly, and if I had fkd it up (like they did) and hit him, accidently, I would pay for his repairs.

But they will be paying lawyers to deal with their problems. Not my idea of fun.

Blade F16