Originally Posted by Norm Andre
First time poster - great forum, read many nacra versus hobie etc. but still need advice on my specific circumstance.
My sailing experience: race an old Shearwater III with dad in the 1970s- 89s. Then windsurfer (the heavy ones - until end of 80s) then nothing.
Now start sailing with son (11 years old, 75 lbs) . I am (190lbs).
on heavier days: just me and son. Trapeze should be fun.
on medium/light - bring two sisters (11 and 14).
considering older Gcat 5, nacra 5.0 or nacra 5.2 or hobie 16 Like the idea of no centerboard, but not abosolute pre-requisite. All boats considered are vintage 1980 or so $2000 or so)
biggest issue: will we be able to right a nacra 5.2 or a hobie 16?
next issue: if I bring the three kids (about 240lbs + me (190lbs) would a hobie 16 hold us - what about the Gcat 5.0?
Any other advice?
one final question: which is faster - or is there a real difference between them?

Thanks in advance - my son is real eager to hear what we should get :-)

Hobie 18. The trampoline on a 16 is going to be a little small for that many people. The Hobie 18, while it does have daggerboards, is a tough boat and has an expansive trampoline for cruising with the kids. I started on a 5.2 and have owned a lot of different cats (mostly Nacras) - but for having fun off the beach with a bunch of people, I will probably always consider the Hobie 18 one of the best and most versatile platforms.

There are some things to watch out for on the Hobie 18s...hopefully someone else will chime in.

Jake Kohl