Hello mmiller
My name is Volker Lorenzen and I am Chairman for Hobie 14 in the North of Germany.
As you know the 14 worlds has been take place here in my area in July and I was involved in organisation.
Because I had to organize boats for sailors from oversea I had contact to many 14 sailors worldwide and so I started asking them about a new mastrotation for the 14.
Everybody saw some problems with the upgrade.
It is difficult to build a contruction that is cheap. Also older 14s have to be changed easily.
The 14s worldwide see some problems. So I agree with you and say that we have to be careful in making changes on the Hobie 14 and later the 16.
But it is to see that 90% of the sailors I know wish some changes at the mastrotation.
Here in germany we have 100 sailors in a rancing-list every year. The sailors who want no changes are in the minority.
Also the sailors from the Netherlands, Denmark, South Africa, Australia and Brazil told me that the most sailors agree with this changes.
Also they see some problems, but the discussion goes into right direction.
Since we have allowed the trapeze on the 14 it is sailed with more and more mast-rake.
But it is not possible to sail with more mast-rake, because of the old mastrotation. Everybody modifies it here in Europe and the EHCA tollerate this.
It's true. We have to be sensible for the problems. But do not forget that the most 14 regatta-sailors want some changes on the mast-rotation.
At the next meeting of the German Hobie Class Association I want that the members decide like this:

A: Modifikation on the old rotation is allowed.
B: A mast-controller is allowed and this mast-controller can be fixed from the trapeze
C: German Class Association should say that a mast-rotation like on the Tiger is the best for Hobie 14. German Class Association is waiting for better offers. It has to be a contruction with lower costs. Older 14s has to be changed easy.
If this problems are eliminated, Germany will decide for a new rotation.
D: Germany will bring this idea into European Council and World Council.

Many 14 sailors arround the whole world agree with me.

(I have to appologize for bad English, I have no dictionary here, but I wanted to give you a quick answer. I hope you understand everything)

Hobie Regards...

Volker

Attached Files
24052-Lorenzen.jpg (166 downloads)