Matt,
I think everybody agrees that changes are necessary otherwise the Hobie 16 will become obsolete.
In times where challenging new boats pop up one has to keep an "experienced Hobie 16" up to date.
Europe is undoubted the biggest representant in Hobie sailing worldwide. This has led to a lot of innovations for the Hobie 16, just some examples:
- Carbon Fibre Rudders
- Extreme mast rake
- Euro jib halyard system
- centre cleated jib halyard camcleat

All that has been very successful and the (European) factory had found cheap solutions for that.

Now, as it was discusssed at the IHCA, we have the proposals on the table for the Hobie 16 upgrades.

- better mast step and rotation
- downhaul adjustable for the trapeze
- jib halyard adjsutable from the trapeze
- outhaul

All these changes are very promising and to my mind they can be easily (and cheap) achieved.

But, we should also allow two options, the present tuning kits and the new ones: IF YOU do not want to change your boat, so be it, but allow the others to do so.
Both systems should be class legal!

I have raced over here in the US since another two years and back in Europe since 15 years and yes, I can follow the
thoughts here in the US. But please just think how many sailors would be affected here in the US? 50? I do not know, but in Europe it is 50 in one regatta and I assume about 500 overall.
We all should take this inot consideration!

Of course all this can not be changed within 2 days, therefore there should be a changeover period!

So, let´s go for it!

Hang deeper and sail faster!

Fritz