I've had the pleasure of crewing on a Stiletto 27 the past few years. Our racing results have been modest to say the most.

Today we sailed a club race here on Charlotte Harbor. We were the only multihull, so we started with a mixed monohull fleet. As usual, we were slugs going upwind. We were out pointed by 15 degrees with similar speed to a Morgan 24 sailed by a very good sailor. A Harbor 20 (I'm holding my tounge the best I can)that started 5 minutes after us beat us to the 1 mile weather mark.

The big problem I see is with the lack of a secure main halyard lock so that downhaul tension can be applied.

When we hoist the main sail it does not appear to reach full hoist and then when the downhaul (5 to 1) the sail starts sliding down. By the time the race is to start I check the downhaul and it is slack. So I tighten it but it has run out of travel.

The sails are some sort of Quantam (Why?) squaretop, yellow string sails.
The difficult problem is explaining to the skipper how important it is to have a secure halyard lock and how the down haul affects the sail going upwind.

The skipper is a retired Ford engineer so a technical discussion is welcome.