[quote
You've missed the point. ][/quote]

No Tim, he didn't miss the point... I think he was right on. The "arms race" is a ligitamate argument in favor of Hobie Cat racing, not against. Regardless of who I work for... my opinion is that the formula that Hobie Alter devised is what has made Hobie Cat racing what it was... and is. Geez have some respect for the Guy. You can debate this issue till you are blue in the face... fact is... Hobie Alter had it right the first time around. Now there are too many cooks in the kitchen and they are going to spoil the soup unless we try and keep to the original thinking!

Now on the original question... The cost of the Hobie 20 trampoline has already been artificially lowered, because I felt it was too high as well. I will have to review in the morning, but I know I have looked at this many times before. Our cost of manufacture is based on labor hours in a product and overhead. The Hobie 20 trampoline is a perfect net fit from side to side, is not square like all of the others. It has a ton of labor in it. We have a dealer network. They are the reason we are still here and the reason you are able to buy a boat and even race a Hobie event. We do not sell direct as other builders do, so it is very difficult to compete with a company like Sunrise who sells direct.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company