Let us suppose that you are right. In this case, why waste time and money in submissions, test pilot travel expenses, trials, commitee meetings, written conclusions, other commitee meetings, etc.?

That's easy... the N17 is a new design, the Nacra F16 is also a new flavor in the F16 world. Nobody has sailed them yet.. The Spitfire probably is not known in Asia or North South America... so... you have a trial, the sailors get to say these boats acceptable... these boats not... The politics is needed to get the max number of MNA's on board and willing to get a team to the Olympics.

ISAF should spend our time and money in useful things. In the end the old guys in the council do whatever they want, so why bother with all this? I guess we all know the answer: spend money. Easy money.
It goes like this:
I would ask the local sailing federation to pay my sailing vocations in Spain, eeeeer, Olympic equipment trials in Spain...

Problem is the commodore knows the king and is first in line. This is how ISAF, US Sailing and other federations work. And this is why I refuse to do anything but sailing. I don't like sailing "politics", just sailing.

OK.... just a standard rant against the powers in charge, sailing politics etc ....
No worries... but politics is the only way you get a consensus.

Would you be happy if the King just made a decree on classes and boats? ..

crac.sailregattas.com