Exactly how can the H16 handle "a lot of weight" with those low-bouyancy hulls? What is, in your opinion, "a lot or weight"? 350lbs, 500lbs, 1000lbs? They used to rent some H16s near here and I'd see them putting around with 4 people on that little tramp and hulls all but submerged. In my opinion, that just doesn't cut it. I've had 7 people (definately over 1000lbs) aboard my boat, with room for them all, and the hull-stripes weren't even under. It was a day with a good amount of wind and some nice rollers and the boat handled very well and moved swiftly. After dropping all the girls off my crew and I double-trapped at very good speed back to my launching point. Even with 22 year old dacron sails (boomless, too) I can keep up with most H18s and P18s in the area. It's also a dryer ride than most other catamarans I've sailed on.

Hans Giessler still races the 16 and 18 models and consistently places well. G-Cats are still a competitive design, and definately worth a look if you can find one in your area. The only boat I'd like to replace my G-Cat 5.7M with is a G-Force 21 Grand Prix

G-Cat 5.7M #583 (sail # currently 100) in Bradenton, FL Hobie 14T