Somehow I really do like the unstayed mast sleeved sail option, mostly because the mast can then be made of regular alu tubes that come apart for transportt.

However, I figured that a cut-down superwing mast WITHOUT diamond wires would be a good option as well. That would be a relatief powerful rig ! At 6 mtr it would not be caretoppable but not much of a hassle either. Weight of mast would be 10 kg or less. Finding some broken A-cat mast would be perfect at roughly 7 kg.

Of course it was to have a spinnaker. 10 sq. mtr or less. Just to be able to make distance on the downwind legs.

In my plans it was to be a hiking boat only (for adults) as the rig is just too small compared to the width of the boat to pull anybody over 50 kg on the wire. Let alone if the craft is weighted down by some 30 kg camping gear.

Personally, I won't miss the trapeze. I sailed the hobie dragoon a bit, a 14 footer with similar dimensions, and was never able to trapeze of that even in 30 knots of wind. Either there was not enough power in the wind or when there was the large amount of righting moment would put the boat nose down even upwind. So I just hiked of this boat and that was lots of fun as well. At some point there have to be compromises.

If only ... ... Ahhh

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands