Paul,

The thought has passed my mind but I think I will paint it with Awlgrip. The sun is brutal in South Florida and black would be just too hot and probably not the best for West Systems Epoxy.
The Awlgrip paint job I did for Cyberspeed has held up really nice for the miles he raced the boat and for being kept on the beach.

All the fairing work before the outside skin is because the skin is not very thick. The basic lay-up for the outside is two layers of 200 gram uni carbon for strength and layer of 600 oz uni Eglass for protection.
I wanted the final skin to be mostly glass with very little filler. I had a fear of cutting into the skin while fairing cabon sands very easy and cutting into the skin would not be a good thing. If it was a thicker lay-up I would not worry as much.
There are stress points that will have 4 layers of carbon like the opening for the ****, around the mast step, bow point, and the bulkheads that support the mast and main sheet block rack.
I will use a router and shave that area down for the extra thickness of the lay-up and overlaps of the cloth.

Originally it was going to be used for a plug after I sailed it but I decided that it was not quite close enough for plug quality so I decided to make it a prototype mule if you will and get it in the water.
Then if all goes well and there is interest I’d like to build a plug by CNC or just a dedicated plug with any design changes that we come up with.

All in all it has been a fun project and I can’t wait to get it in the water and see what all the work has been about.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's