My dad was always talking about how great sailing was and how he'd dumped the boat after we were born. I later found out that it had simply rotted out from under him and replacing it was not on his agenda.

So I nagged him about wanting to sail (I had proven to be a water lover in Kayaks by then) and we rented a Hobie 14 (I think) in New Zealand where we then lived. I loved it and later in life I discovered wind surfing and caught myself thinking how a boat would do a much better job of holding up a much bigger sail..
So I took lessons and got hooked. BUt that was on monohulls and I noticed how I hated not being able to go faster so I switched to cats and haven't regretted it.

These days I don't race much. Sailing to me is mostly about being a part of nature (life, the universe and everything), (can you tell my boat is stored in parking space # 42?)

I like to be out on the edge sometimes and experience the feeling that I'm just a small piece of the puzzle. This is not a religious forum so I'll spare you the spiritual haziness that is tied to sailing for me, but its a big deal to me.