Hi,

So I have removed the majority of the mid decks, and separated the hulls from the beams. I will be assembling a cradle tomorrow to hold the hulls level so that I can continue on.

It looks as if this boat had a hull replaced at some point. Foam bulkheads are in different spots, one deck was composite with no stringers, the other single ply with stringers. It looks as if the second ply sheet on the composite deck was added after some pretty rough repair work to the lower ply, and the foam used to raise the upper deck from the repairs. I have removed both ply sheets using a router, though unfortunately I will have to spend quite a bit of time sanding this flat.

My next move is to fix up / possibly replace the foam bulkheads, as a number of these are cracked, and most probably add some extras. Can anyone recommend a foam sheet supplier and the type of foam I should be purchasing? The existing foam is white, and roughly 25mm thick. I assume I should be purchasing some kind of closed cell foam, but want to make sure I purchase the correct one.

It also appears that the front ply bulkhead of the starboard hull has separated from the inside edge of the hull. The fiberglass tape on both sides of the bulkhead is sheared along the inside edge. I am not sure whether to try to remove and replace the bulkhead, as there is a roughly 5mm gap between the bulkhead and the edge of the hull in the top 100mm section of the bulkhead, or fill the gap, re-glue and tape it in as is. Unfortunately, I think this means I will either have to cut another hole in the deck forward of the front beam to get to the other side of the bulkhead, or remove the front deck section as well (there is already one hole but out when I needed to get to the chain plate).. I should have enough ply, I have ordered 2 sheets of 4mm gaboon which should be more than I will need for the mid deck replacement.

In regards to the I-Beams, it looks like in the photos that the foam is cut to the same level as the bottom edge of the timber strip which runs along the gunwhales, but I cant tell whether the ply strip is glued to the edge of the gunwhale, or to the underside?

Thanks again,

Andrew