Originally Posted by brucat
Originally Posted by Jake
I don't disagree with the title, I still think it's a cool video - it's actually a great video. It shows a lot of things to learn from.

Agree to disagree...

I can see why people stopped watching after a little while, it was repetitive and boring. I was wondering why anyone would post 20+ minutes of sailing along on a reach, so I started moving forward through the clip. When I got to the capsize, I thought, "GREAT, another let's make fun of how much Hobie 16s flip video."

It was when I saw the crew stuck in the rigging that my stomach literally turned. She got out, then the skipper was focused on fixing the rudders, there was another capsize somewhere along the way, etc. I was looking for the crew and always just assumed she was still there and the skipper was too busy to look at her. The music concealed any attempt at making sense of what they were saying at the time.

When I saw the Sea Tow boat show up with the crew, and read the account of how he lost sight of her for an ENTIRE HOUR is when it really went into a whole new version of uncool for me.

Mike

I'm still glad it's there and public - we're talking about it and several people are probably learning from it. You can just as easily have these problems on any other catamaran or sailboat for that matter. I've been a rookie sailing distance races and in situations that were beyond my experience level - we all have....if you boil the "inexperience" down, it is situations that we didn't have the foresight to predict and don't have a plan to keep it from happening or a planB ready if it should. I've been in a couple scary, potentially life threatening, situations that I don't ever want to see again and I go to pretty great lengths to avoid those or have a plan ready if they happen. If one video can help us have an intelligent discussion about ways to make ourselves safer without having to experience it first hand, and help provide some foresight to folks that want to do these kinds of things, it's a great video in my book...and it did end well.

Jake Kohl