Originally Posted by brucat
I have to stop watching that video.

Numerous statements of that nature is what kinda pisses me off about this thread. You're getting uncomfortable watching a video? Holy bleeding hearts Batman! We've all done similar things, and we've all risked our butts being dumb in different sports and lived to tell about it. I was a total wild butt on a motorcycle back in the day. Triple digit lane splitting while riding wheelies? AWESOME! Would I do it again? f*ck no.

So while some of you chastise their experience, and get all wishy washy at the sight of a trap line wrapped around a leg, I bet that chick is a little better at falling off the boat next time. Which doesn't mean squat, I still get wrapped up in stuff occasionally in a capsize, just like probably anybody else.

You don't learn anything unless you push yourself. Humans, like almost all animals, learn the best through pain. Whether physical, or emotional, we tend to avoid those experiences that make us uncomfortable once we have. Depending on the personality they'll come back for more, or they'll do something else. These guys didn't push themselves too far, (don't argue that with me, they lived), but they probably came close to the edge. I doubt that's even a reality for them yet, but same day it will be, and they might look back and go, "damn, I'm lucky I made it out of that", or.... They learn from it, and go "damn, that was fun, and I dragged a lot of useful info out of that.

There is nothing wrong with risking your life in the name of entertainment if you choose to do so. If you're not of the adrenaline junky type and you don't want to drowned, either grow gills or stay off the water. Don't want to freeze to death in a crevasse, don't climb mountains. Don't want to go "SPLAT" when you hit the ground at 300mph, don't jump out of airplanes. Don't want to get ripped in half by a telephone pole, don't crash a motorcycle at a high rate of speed. It ain't rocket surgery.

I'm boatless.