Karl, I'm only 5'-8" tall.

Pete, I'm happy to get with some other sailors, but right now my only launch point is at the Clearwater Sailing Center, and I'm not willing to sail up to Dunedin (about 8 miles away,) until I know I can right the boat if I capsize on the way there. Catch 22. :-)

To all, I had the mainsheet & traveler loose, but I hadn't thought to loosen the downhaul. I stood on the bow to make sure the boat was facing into the wind. A fishing boat came buy immediately and asked if I needed help, I told them I wanted to try to right the boat myself first, so they offered to come back after ten minutes. When they came back, they lifted the mast out of the water and I was able to bring it the rest of the way. The wind was blowing 10-15 mph at the time with 15-20 mph gusts.

Timbo, I don't think I was going as fast as you were. I didn't have a GPS with me, but based on the difference between apparent wind and true wind angles I was going as fast as the wind on a beam reach. I capsized when I turned downwind. As I was coming in off the wire I accidentally turned back up and even with the main and traveller out I was too far inboard to stop the boat from going over once it got started.

Things I learned... Generally, I have to practice getting out on the wire and back in without making huge changes in heading. My righting line is way too slick. I had to tie a knot in it and run it through my harness, then move the knot several times before it was in the right place. Once I had the righting line tied well and had the bucket tied to the line, I couldn't fill the bucket with water so my line has to be longer.

I'll practice on my technique.

Daniel T.
Taipan F16 - USA 213