Originally Posted by samc99us
I have at least 1 foil, and probably 2 more, that are in need of similar TLC. I made the mistake of applying gelcoat by hand to one of my Nacra Gen-3 rudder blades a few years back. It looks like sh$t, no more shininess etc. All in an attempt to make the foil better (dumb, this was a hand tuned blade by Phil's Foils, aka C-Class foil builder extraordinaire) .

My current plan is to at least sand down all the crappy gelcoat. From there I am looking for tips. One area of concern that is difficult to clean up is the tip of the blade, which is showing the fiberclass. Should I try and spray new gelcoat in this area? Any tips for blending it back into the original paint? Is gelcoat the actual material used here, or is it a 2 part polyurethane (Interlux Perfection). How about fairing the nicks in the TE back into the original board?

I have more experience with composites and paints this time around but still would like hot tips from the experts. I also have access to proper painting gear and expertise from my shop team that shoots 2-part epoxy based paints on a regular basis, but normally on freshly prepared metals. Should I sand all the way back to the base primer/glass and shoot fresh coats of paint?

Thanks for the help,
Sam

I recently refinished my infusion boards and one of the tips was completely broken (4" up from the tip) and had a nasty repair on it. I sprayed all of the under-water surface of the board with a sandable rattle-can automotive primer. I then sanded the foil with a palm sander working carefully back and forth to remove material evenly while also working to remove the small negative hollow (that's always there) behind the main camber in the foil. I sanded until any primer left in the negative and any scratches was practically gone. I then filled pin-holes and chips/dings and did some minor reshaping of the tip with epoxy thickened with milled glass fibers. I used bondo to fill any other minor imperfections and then gel-coated the lower 2/3rds of the boards.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jake Kohl