Originally Posted by PTP
Originally Posted by Jake
I used bondo to fill any other minor imperfections

I have heard people state not to use bondo because it can absorb water. I friggin love the stuff. You can do a lot of coats of bondo in one sitting since it cures so fast. Obviously the theory is water won't get to it if a proper overcoat is put on, but was wondering your thoughts. I did some relatively serious filling and repair to my F31 dagger and rudder using some thickened epoxy as well as some bondo. I covered it with Perfection after a couple layers of primer. All good until you get a nick you can't really see (taking the board out of the 31 isn't difficult, but it isn't easy either)

yeah, me too...I catch flack for it all the time...blah blah blah. If my boat sat in the water all of it's life, maybe it's not worthy...but every single boat I've owned has had some sort of repair done with bondo at some point in it's life. Some fairly significant. I use it to fair the bottoms of boats, I use it to fair boards. Never had a problem. I did, once, use it to fair some minor imperfections on the bottom of a hull and left it explosed. It did eventually disappear/wear away from the water...so I guess it is wise to always top-coat it (like normal).

It is notable, however, to use the "Premium" bondo. It doesn't develop that tacky top layer which saves a lot of time and sandpaper.

Jake Kohl