I have two cameras. One I mount on the compression bar (a rod between the bows), just off center looking back. The other I mount on the port rudder arm, close to the pivot point (just above the gudgeons) looking forward.

I don't wiggle the tiller a lot, so the rear camera gets a reasonably steady view. I think it's steadier than boom-mounting would be. I chose the port side so that it gets a good shot of the marks when rounding to port. The field-of-view is wide enough that it pretty much gets me in frame trapped out on either side. One advantage of mounting to the rudder arm is that a little weather helm keeps the camera pointed towards the high side a bit, which helps keep me in the picture. The downside is that the camera looks off-boat when tacking or gybing.

I am planning to mount a bar between the rudder arms near the piviots, so I can move the camera to the center of the boat. I'm also working on a gimbaled mount, so the horizon will stay level when flying a hull.

Although both can be accessed, neither camera is within easy reach on the water, so I generally turn them on at the beach and just let them record all day.

When I sail the Tanzer 16 (a monohull), I only mount one camera (to the tiller). It is easy to reach there, so I turn it off between races.

The newer model of my camera has a waterproof remote control. If I had that, It would be easy to start and stop recording.

I hope that helps,
Eric