{queue patriotic music} OK...I'm going to finish these promised spreader load drawings in the next couple of days and then I'm going to get out of this topic...promise. I'm really surprised at all of this. The Nacra boats have a deserved reputation for being bulletproof...I know mine is. How many boats with a 32' mast can withstand being turtled in 30' of water with 5 foot swells? Mine has - TWICE (yes, it's embarassing but it was an excusably violent day for a race). Hell, I cut a pretty good groove in the sandy bottom of Blackwater Sound, first with the bow and then with the mast, during a pitchpole last January. Boat Broken? nope - but I was! We righted it and sailed back to the bar. And for heaven's sake!, the previous owner of this boat once stopped 3/4 the way through RTI because he spotted a Waffle House over the trees. When he came back from his 'smacked, stacked, and covered', the wind had blown the boat over with a rudder proping up the stern - they sailed it back! These are damn fine boats. Mine has been through a lot of abuse and it's still rock solid and I'll continue to sail it for a long time. You guys disappoint me. {end music}

I have broken 2 foils and have had a hand in 4 wrecked masts in a 5-year span. I have had problems with the sail track getting pinched off twice. Both of these were due to the mast hitting the water or beach hard. One was a really bad pitchpole, the other was the boat flipping on the beach in a bad microburst. 2 Nacra 6.0s had masts ruined flipping on their sides in the same incident...“That Never happens” It is unfortunate because they have a generally awesome product, but still have quality issues and common failure modes that are solvable.

In the same post it's stated how many masts have been seen break as a result of capsizing in the surf and on the hard...and then how it's a shame they don't make the boats better. What boats don't break masts when they capsize and hit ground in the surf or in microbursts? Maybe I should leave this alone. {queue patriotic music again} How many Hobies have you seen pull a halyard hook out of the comp tip, How many Mysteres have pushed a chain plate rivet out the side, how many RC boats haven't had the masts sealed, how many Prindles or Tigers have had the trampoline track come loose? Every boat, every manufacturer has failures...it's statistically impossible to not have them. The question I have for you is on which boat do you feel most secure sailing across open ocean? ... I like the odds on mine. {end music}

Jake Kohl