The tillers that most top crews use are non-telescoping, so the long carbon extension would be poking at the crew on the wire if the helmsman was in the best position (sitting right at the rear beam). So, what they do is toss the tiller extension over the back and just let it skim along like that...helmsman steers by hand-holding the tiller connecter bar directly. The guy on the trap has his aft-most foot stuck under a foot strap located right over the rear corner of the hull...you can actually place the sole of your foot vertically on the transom with it...just looks like he's on the rudder.

Mike.

There are 2 things I find disturbing about that pic :

It appears that the tiller extension is dragging in the water, which means that it`s not in your hand !
It also appears that your left foot is ON the rudder, if you add these together I must assume that foot-steering is the latest technique to sailing the Tornado downwind ?

Or is this how Torrie sailors deal with the MASSIVE amounts of leehelm they must be getting, what with their centreboards being behind the front beam & all that ?
(Don`t mind me, I`m just kidding.)
Torrie is still the most beautiful boat ever built, nearly 40 years later.
Attached pic is of a baby Tornado (16ft Mosquito)

Cheers
Steve.

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"