I am not a big fan of trolling the tiller extension (excess drag) and in the moderate breeze will hold onto it.

As the breeze freshens, my crew Brent will move further aft and the extension does get in his way. Therefore there is no other option than dispose of it over the transome.

Brent's aft foot is placed on the transom, resting against the gungeon as you can see in this shot. His front foot is half way between the transom and rear beam alowing for him to trapeze nearly at right angles to the hull and as far back as possible like this.

When the breeze increases more and the Big T has a tendancy to nose dive, Brent will move his forward foot further aft until his heel is touching the corner of the transome. This will move his trapezing angle to around 45 degrees to the side of the boat and most of his body weight behind the rudders. I too will move further back with a foot rapped around a tramp foot strap and my tourso over and behind the rear beam.

Brent does not use any foot straps. The only time foot straps are used are by me when we are rounding the top mark and begining to set or when we are coming in hot for a drop and round at the bottom mark.

Brent will secure himself at the back by the use of a 'panic/sissy' line. Leaning back against this will secure his feet down on the transom. Holding the kite sheet with his aft hand will steady himself from going forward and holding the other (non sheeting) sheet will steady himself from falling backwards around the transom.

Even though he has secured hiself quite well, the skipper must steer a smooth line and the crew must anticipate which way and by how much the skipper will turn the boat.

Any agressive steering can and will send the crew flying forward or aft, with the latter being a very dodgy position for the crew to fall.

This techneque takes a bit to master, but when you do you will rip strips off the competition.